At the heart of the country of the three frontiers, at the threshold of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg,and next to the mediaeval city of Rodemack, whose defense it guaranteed, the fortress of Preisch was destroyed in about 1680. Traces of its feudal moat and ditches can be seen in the park which surrounds the present Château.
This Château whose construction was undertaken by Conrad de Soetern and Marguerite de Merode at the beginning of the 17th Century, is built on two levels.With its 17th and 18th Century dependencies, the whole site is designed as two u-shapes with two courtyards, that of the Château and that of the farm. The domain of Preisch presently stretches over 170 hectares enclosed by 7 km wall which shelters an English garden, Hampshire sheep, a kitchen garden, pastures, and centuries old woods as well as a 3 x 9 hole golf course. Since 1855, it is owned by the de Gargan family.
Charles-Joseph de Gargan (1831-1920) constituted the collection of objects which furnished the Château. It is during his journeys in Italy, Austria, Portugal, Flanders, and the Palatinate that he made his acquisitions. The interior of the Château, devastated and pillaged by the German occupation during the second world war, was restored by Madeleine de Gargan (1928-2000), his grand-daughter, Mayoress of Basse-Rentgen and Member of the Regional Council for 18 years.
Today her daughter, Dominique Charpentier, has reunited artworks, furniture and objects from her paternal and maternal families, the Charpentier family and the de Gargan family. The Château de Preisch collection taken as a whole reveals the historical approach of Charles-Joseph de Gargan which is carried on by his descendants, all in a property transmitted from generation to generation with the same care taken to both preserve the family heritage and to enrich it.